Stewed vegetables with unsmoked bacon Traditional recipe of Basilicata-Italia
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1.5 kg (3.3 pounds) freshfava beans
- 600g (1.3 pound) potatoes
- 6 globe artichokes
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) unsmoked bacon, in a piece
- 400g (14 ounces) onions
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Chilly, if liked
- Juice of a lemon
preparation: 40 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 h 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 375 (kcal) 19 % GDA (*)- 1571 (kJ)
Protein: 19.4 (g) 39 % GDA
Total fat: 18.9 (g) 27 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 34.1 (g) 13 % GDA
Sugars: 9.3 (g) 11 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (154 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for vegetable stew with unsmoked bacon
- - Prepare artichokes.
Use a stainless steel knife.
Snap off their stalk close to the base, pulling out any fibers which would extend into the bottom.
Starting at the base, take off all outside leaves, that are always tough, until you expose a central core of pale leaves.
Trim leaves to remove spines and any brown edges.
Quarter artichokes and dip them in water acidulated with lemon juice in order to prevent browning, until their cooking.
- - Prepare fava beans.
Shell fava beans.
Then remove their skin.
Make a small slit in their skin with a sharp knife and squeeze each bean between your thumb and finger; every bean will pop out easily.
If they are too mature, it's necessary to boil them for 30-60 seconds, refresh and make the same steps described above.
- - Prepare potatoes.
Peel and slice potatoes.
- - Prepare onions.
Peel and slice onions finely.
- - Finally chop bacon.
- - Sauté onions and bacon in olive oil until golden.
Add fava beans, potatoes and artichokes. Season with salt and chilly, if you like.
Add 2 ladleful of hot water.
Cook, half-covered, stirring now and then, over a medium heat for half an hour or until vegetables are tender.
Adding a little more water only if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Serve warm or hot in individual plates.
- - Prepare ciuadedda in advance. It's tastier.
- - Use a crock pot for your vegetable stew for tastier recipes.
- - Other versions. This technique for cooking fava beans is typical of South of Italy with some variants. In Campania fava beans are sauteed in olive oil and combined with aged sausage but there are no artichokes. This recipe is called ciaurella or ciaudella.
- - Prepare this stewed vegetable dish for your family menu. It's a good idea to vary your menu in spring.
- - In spring my husband and I prepare ciaudedda when we have to plan a get-together with our friends. It's a tasty appetizer too. We prepare assorted antipasto platter with ciaudedda and other tidbits!
- - Read nutrition facts of this vegetable stew. It is a complete meal from all points of view, a good example of a one-course meal. The amount of bacon is balanced. Remember cold cuts should not be eaten more than once a week and the amount per head must be 50 grams.
- - Accompany your ciaudedda with a portion of bread (50g - 1 3/4 ounce) and complete your meal with fresh seasonal fruit.
- - I didn't modify the authentic recipe of ciaudedda. I only reduced the amount of olive oil according to the most modern indications of healthy eating.
- - Fiber per serving: 13.3 grams, half the daily intake!
What's the right wine for " Stewed vegetables with unsmoked bacon "?
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1