Guance di manzo brasate con topinambur
Braised beef cheeks accompanied by Jerusalem artichokes Our original home cooking
Beef cheeks are not an expensive cut of meat in Italy but they are rich in flavor and also surprising from the nutritional point of view because, unlike pork cheek, are not fat. They have one drawback: the long time necessary to cook them. But, once cooked, they can be cut with a fork. A show! I'm thinking of preparing braised beef cheeks for my Christmas greeting dinner party. Finally, a tasty dish, different from the usual and economic! An example for the Mediterranean diet.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 800g (1 3/4 pound) beef cheeks, in a piece
- 500g (1.1 pound) Jerusalem artichokes
- 350g (12 1/3 pounds) leek
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 800ml (1 2/3 pint - 3 1/3 cups) dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: 3 hours 30 minutes
total: 3 hours 45 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 403 (kcal) 21 % GDA (*)- 1685 (kJ)
Protein: 33.7 (g) 68 % GDA
Total fat: 17.4 (g) 25 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 27.4 (g) 11 % GDA
Sugars: 16.0 (g) 18 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (74 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for braised beef cheeks with Jerusalem artichokes
Preparation and cooking
- - Clean and chop leek finely.
- - Remove fat and skin from your beef cheeks.
- - Put 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, rosemary sprig and meat in a big pot.
- - Let meat fry slightly on all sides, on very low heat, some minutes.
Remember to turn meat with wooden spoons without pricking with a fork.
- - At this point add chopped leek too and let all flavor, on very low heat, stirring leek often and turning your meat now and then.
- - Pour in wine, increase heat and bring to a boil.
Wait for a some minutes, turn upside down meat and let all boil, some minutes.
- - Meanwhile bring to a boil 2 liters of water. Then pour into the pot.
Season to taste with salt, reduce heat and continue cooking, half-covered, at least 3 hours.
Hard to say how much time is really necessary. Many factors may come into play.
The proof of the fork will confirm that your meat is cooked. Your fork should enter well. Very well, I would say :))
- - Add other boiling water, if necessary.
If your meat should reach the right point of cooking when there is still much cooking liquid, remove beef cheek from pot and let cooking juice reduce well.
- - Half an hour before serving, clean Jerusalem artichokes, cut into little pieces and put in a non-stick frying pan with remaining olive oil. Let them cook on low heat, stirring frequently, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Once cooked, season to taste with salt.
Just before serving
- - Remove your meat from pot.
Cut it into thick slices and put them again in your pot.
Heat up, turning meat slices at least once.
- - Serve at once with warm Jerusalem artichokes as side dish.
- - Prepare braised beef cheeks ahead but Jerusalem artichokes just before serving.
- - As you have seen, I do not use red wine for cooking. I prefer white wine for a more digestible dish. But I match red wine at table.
- - Braised cheek recipe is very simple, it only requires a long cooking. I generally do not add tomato. This allows me greater freedom of choice when I combine it to the other dishes of my menu. Meat menu, of course.
- - Prepare braised beef cheeks for your family menu too. Serve them accompanied by polenta if you do not like Jerusalem artichokes or with any seasonal vegetable you like.
- - Nutrition facts of braised beef cheeks are well balanced. This is the reason why I suggest this dish for your family menu and your get-togethers.
- - Jerusalem artichoke are very special tubers, lumpy and with the strangest forms. Typically they should be brushed and not peeled. I sometimes peel them when it is really difficult to clean them thoroughly only with a brush.
Remember Jerusalem artichokes are particularly suitable for people with high blood sugar. They are rich in fiber such as inulin. Inulin also encourages the re-balancing of the beneficial bacteria in the intestine (bifidobacteria and lactobacilli) to the detriment of less useful bacteria.
- - Fiber per serving: 4.0 grams
What's the right wine for " Braised beef cheeks accompanied by Jerusalem artichokes "?
Pair fantastic Italian Chianti (red wine from Tuscany) to braised beef cheeks!
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1