Capriolo su crostoni di polenta
Roe stew on grilled polenta Traditional Italian recipe
Roe stew with polenta is easy to do but requires a marinade that begins the night before. The preparation itself is not very long and, once on the stove, it cooks alone. To be selected for a dinner with friends. Let's see together recipe directions, how to serve it and matched wine. It is a Mediterranean diet recipe for its cooking method and ingredients but not to be prepared often.
Ingredients / Serves 3
- 500g (1.1 pounds) frozen boned roe, cut into little pieces
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) carrots
- 40g (1 1/2 ounce) celery sticks
- 120g (4 1/4 ounces) young fresh onions
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 100 ml (3 1/3 fluid ounces) grappa
- 500 ml (1 pint - 2 cups) red wine
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Polenta slices
preparation: 20 minutes
plus marinating time
cooking: about 2 hours
total: 140 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 401 (kcal) 21 % GDA (*)- 1679 (kJ)
Protein: 38.4 (g) 77 % GDA
Total fat: 16.1 (g) 24 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 6.8 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 6.8 (g) 8 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (155 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Roe stew recipe
- - The morning before. Transfer roe pieces from the freeze to the refrigerator.
- - If in the afternoon your roe is still frozen let it thaw at room temperature.
- - The evening before. Put all roe pieces in a bowl and cover with wine.
- - Let marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- - Remove meat from the marinade and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Clean, wash and chop celery, onions and carrots finely.
- - Put all these vegetables in a large saucepan together with olive oil and roe.
- - Let meat fry slightly on all sides over a medium heat and then pour in grappa.
- - Let it evaporate and then cover with hot water or vegetable broth, if you prefer.
- - Turn down heat and add cinnamon, marjoram and cloves according to my doses.
- - Season to taste with salt and continue cooking, half-covered, stirring now and then, until meat is tender.
- - Keep some water boiling and add it when it is necessary.
- - It's difficult to say cooking time exactly, it depends on roe quality.
- - Let all cooking juice thickens as you can see in the photo.
Just before serving
- - Serve roe with its cooking juice on grilled and oiled polenta slices.
- - You can prepare roe stew some hours ahead and reduce its cooking juice just before serving.
- - Roe stew is a special dish to prepare when you have to celebrate something with your family, relatives or friends. It's the reason why the dose for meat is higher than usual. In fact the portion of edible meat should be around 100g (3 1/2 ounces) per head. In this case you have to think it is an extraordinary dish you eat rarely and ... once in a time ... enjoy it!
- - Here is a menu idea for your special event! Start with assorted finger food, canapes or Italian crostini. Then serve venison stew accompanied with polenta. Close your meal with a dessert. My advise is against cakes full of whipped cream or custard. Prefer fruit dessert or tart such as pineapple and kiwi salad. Follow the links in the next paragraph.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Consult our directories about Italian crostini, finger food and canapes to plan your menu.
- . This is the section dedicated to cakes and dessert. Read our pineapple and kiwi salad and have a look to the other recipes of mine.
- - I calculated nutrition facts of roe stew without polenta slices and olive oil to dress them.
- - Game and red meat in general shouldn't be eaten frequently. The recommended portions of meat per week must not be more than 3 to 4, included cuts (not more than one per week). Anyway give preference to poultry.
- - Venison stew has 212mg cholesterol (daily need: 300mg per head).
- - This dish has 1.9g fiber (daily need: 30g per head)
- - If you want to drink a glass of wine remember you have to add 80 to 85 calories per 100ml.
- - I remember you my original home recipes can be made without salt. There is always a combination of flavors that substitutes salt.
What's the right wine for " Roe stew on grilled polenta "?
Our suggestion is: Barolo (a red wine from Piedmont) or Refosco dal Peduncolo Rosso (DOC Lison Pramaggiore). We want to mention here our favorite Refosco made by the organic firm Le Carline in Pramaggiore. Its winy, intense taste is unique to drink a wine that tastes like grapes. This firm produces Refosco without sulphites too.
Rating: 1 / vote cast: 1